Art Installations 2020 #LoveHullHateLitter
Have you got an artistic flare? Or maybe a passion to recycle and reuse or just a desire to help clean the streets of Hull and Hessle and the East Riding of Yorkshire?
Following the success of our Road Art Installations in 2017 & 2018 we are continuing our 2019 approach and are now looking for our 2020 Art Installations, on a theme reflecting Hull’s innovative designs and influences..
Working with Hull Streetscene, for 2020 we are seeking 3D installations to have alongside the route within each mile which are made from recycled rubbish from the area. #LoveHullHateLitter. In doing so, we can help clean the city while showcasing visions of its forward thinking innovative ideas in the eyes of those from the area. The selected designs will be displayed as part of the Marathon weekend and we will be looking to have them either stay at their selected location longer term or another location to be seen by a wider audience.
Inspired by the ‘Litter Letter Project’, Hull Street scene worked with Hymers College & Absolutely Cultured to create Love Hull Hate Litter from rubbish created into the letters in Chicken Mesh. We now want to develop that and help collect rubbish from across the city and turn it into more of these 3D images, sculptures or messages to have along the route of the marathon on 27 September.
We are inviting local artists, creatists, groups, schools and anyone else to submit their ideas for what they could create. Those selected will be supplied chicken mesh (if required) to enable them to turn their idea into reality. The final installations will stand on a platform no bigger than 2x3m and will be displayed as created with no sponsors’ logos or captions added unless included in the design or at the request of the entrant(s).
Artists can view the marathon route on our Race Route page and can choose to create an installation for any mile.
This project is open to anyone living in Kingston upon Hull or the East Riding of Yorkshire. Those getting involved are asked to give an idea of the design of the final 3D creation with an indication of if chicken mesh will be required and submitted to [email protected], with Art Installation as the subject. Included in the email should be the artist’s or group’s name, contact postal address, email address, phone number, location from where they intended to collect litter to create the installation and if it relates to any specific mile of the route. All submissions will be acknowledged within 1 week with further details.
LKR Events/Hull Streetscene will supply the chicken mesh and base for the installation (if required); artists are responsible for obtaining any other materials to create the installation. Arrangements will be made in regards to transport but where possible to create the installation near to its final location.
Terms and conditions below
Mile Splits in detail based on 2019 route. Points are subject to change.
Mile 1 – Humber Bridge Road Deck (southbound direction)
Mile 2 – Humber Bridge Road Deck (primarily southbound direction)
Mile 3 – Humber Bridge Road Deck (northbound direction)
Mile 4 – Humber Bridge Road Deck (northbound direction & Humber Bridge Car Park)
Mile 5 – Ferriby Road, Prestongate, The Square, Hessle
Mile 6 – Hull Rd Hessle, Anlaby Park Rd South
Mile 7 – Anlaby Park Rd South & North, Costello Stadium, Peter Pan Park
Mile 8 – Peter Pan Park, Pickering Road, Pickering Park
Mile 9 – Pickering Park, Lakeside Grove, Council Ave, Askew Ave, Hessle Road
Mile 10 – Hessle Road, Hawthorne Ave, Woodcock St, Gordon St, Boulevard
Mile 11 – Boulevard, Anlaby Rd, West Park
Mile 12 – West Park, KCOM Stadium complex, Anlaby Rd
Mile 13 – Anlaby Rd, Boulevard
Mile 14 – Goulton St, West Dock St, Albert Dock
Mile 15 – Albert Dock, Wellington St, Railway St, Marina
Mile 16 – Marina, Wellington St, Humber Street, High St, Liberty Lane
Mile 17 – Lowgate, Market Place, South Church side (Hull Minster), King Street, Whitefriargate,Zebedee’s Yard, Princes Dock St, Beverley Gate, Queen Victoria Sq, King Edward St, Jameson St, Bond St, Vernon St, Rose Bowl, Guildhall Rd
Mile 18 – Wilberforce Dr, Lowgate, Alfred Gelder St, Drypool Bridge, Manor Street, Land of Green Ginger, Silver St, Liberty Lane, High St
Mile 19 – Millennium Bridge, The Deep, Southbridge Rd,
Mile 20 – Southbridge Rd, Corinthian Way (Victoria Dock), Earles Rd, Siemen’s Sculpture Trail
Mile 21 – Siemen’s Sculpture Trail
Mile 22 – Earles Rd, Mt Pleasant, Hedon Rd, Williamson Street, Strawberry St, Thomas St, Holderness Rd, Dansom Lane, St Mark’s Rd (RB)
Mile 23 – Trans Pennine Trail behind RB, James Reckitt Ave, Chestnut Grove, Lime Tree Ave, Lilac Ave (Garden Village)
Mile 24 – Lilac Ave, Elm Ave, James Reckitt Ave
Mile 25 – East Park
Mile 26 – East Park
Mile 26.2 – East Park
Terms & Conditions
- All entrants must live or operate within Kingston upon Hull or East Riding of Yorkshire
- All entrants must confirm their name, email address, postal address, contact phone number on submission of their entry.
- Entries must have a Maritime linked theme or words of encouragement
- There is no limit to the number of submissions per person/group but each should be submitted separately.
- Original designs must be a minimum of A4 (210mm x 297mm) in size and in 2D.
- Entrants should send a photo of their design in the first instance
- Entries must be submitted by email to [email protected]
- All entries will be acknowledged within 48 hours of receipt. If no acknowledgement is received, please check spam/junk folders before contacting the Hull Marathon.
- LKR reserves the right to not accept a submisson.
- Hull Marathon, organised by LKR Events Ltd, and Hull Streetscene will cover the cost of the chicken mesh and base and any costs to reproduce the artwork in 2D for the exhibition if required.
- By entering the “Art Installation” completion the artist agrees to the original being displayed within the city as part of the event, dates to be confirmed, but no earlier than 15 September 2019 and agrees not to sell or dispose of the original until agreed with the organisers.
- The Original artwork remains the property of the original entrant and is loaned for the event.
- LKR Events propose to produce an equal number of postcards per art installation for use over the Hull Marathon weekend. These may also be sold during the exhibition and the Hull Marathon (LKR Events) reserve the right to retain the sale fees towards event expenses. No entrant will incur any expense in the production of the postcards.
- Art Installations winning entries will be reproduced as a large piece of 3D art by Saturday 21 September and no bigger than a floor space of 2 x 3m sq. Hull Marathon (LKR Events Ltd) reserves the right to make the final decision on the installation size.
- Winners will be featured in the event programme, on the event website and exposure through the events social media as well as displayed within the exhibition.
- The organisers reserve the right to withdraw the installations in the event of permission being withdrawn from a third party of their display, hazards caused by weather or any other reasonable health & safety risk incurred. This notwithstanding, the event will do its utmost to avoid this occurring.
- No correspondence shall be entered into and the judge’s decision is final.